The challenge: open a pack of AD&D (2e) collector cards, and use as many as you can (at least 1/2) to set up an adventure hook, encounter, or to stock one geomorph or small area full of rooms (using whatever geomorph or map you find online or devise yourself). NPCs might be used as monsters, hooks, objectives, etc., as may monsters and items. Do what you want, but make sure the thing on the card is somehow present. I recognize that it would be pretty hard to integrate random things that could be from Dark Sun, Spelljammer, etc. … so you can go gonzo, or ignore some (up to 1/2 of the) cards.
The the first sixteen respondents I get will get a brand stanking new pack of cards to use (still wrapped! I won’t know what you’re getting!), because I am down to sixteen foil-wrapped packs of AD&D collector cards unless I open the second (shrink-wrapped) booster box (email me at mike period monaco at yahoo dot com). If you have your own pack handy, or even a larger collection you already own (surely someone owns a mess of these still, despite TSR’s terrible marketing and the whole line’s ill-conceived nature), you can use them, but they must be, on your paladin’s honor, randomly selected. No cherry picking. What you got is what you got.
Your entry should include a list of the cards you used, and must be something I can read (hard copy, pdf, word doc, text, etc.). Also, it should be as system-neutral as possible. After you get your cards and write up your adventure/hook/encounter/whatever, send your submission to me by snail or email, or post it on your own site. I’ll recruit one or two judges from my gaming group. I will try to scrounge up some decent prizes from among the gaming things I own but am not using, unless someone wants to donate a prize or two.
To recap, here are the rules:
- You email me your intent to enter the challenge, and note if you need a pack of cards (first come first serve) or will use your own. I send you a pack of cards if applicable.
- You write up an encounter/adventure/location/key to a map using at least 1/2 of the cards (monsters, items, NPCs, etc.) in some way. There are 16 cards per pack, so you need to use at least eight!
- Your thing needs to be system neutral. OK to mention HD or CR, classes, etc., but leave out the massive 3e/4e stat blocks, Rolemaster skill lists, etc.
- Post your work online (send me a link!), or send to me.
- Judging will be by whoever I can recruit from among my gaming group, or as a last resort by me alone. Judges’ decisions are final.
- There will be at least three winners (1st-3rd prize, plus possibly more if there is big turn out and/or great mentionables). Prizes will be awarded from my junk, plus anything contributed to the contest.
If you have something you’d like to offer as a prize, let me know. Free publicity for you, prize for an entrant, my job made easier, win-win-win!