A while back I picked up a couple of loose myconids made by Wizards of the Coast. They are nice and just a little creepy:
I decided I really needed a lot more than two myconids if I’m ever going to use them for D&D. So, I decided to make a few more out of Sculpy, and while I was at it, made some giant mushrooms to go with them.
The mushrooms were easy. I had recently been reading a kid’s book about mushrooms to my daughter, who was very interested in them last summer and fall, and it had some nice color photos for reference. They were all glued down to small (3/4 inch or so) glass tiles left over from one of her craft projects. This gives them a fairly heavy base and makes them stable.
The myconids turned out to be a little trickier, because I learned that Sculpy gets sort of soft in the over before it hardens. Next time I’ll try ‘Super Sculpy,’ or at least use an armature. I didn’t mind my myconids being a little simpler and even cartoonish, since I was whipping them out pretty fast (all the ‘shrooms and ‘nids were done in about an hour, plus baking time).