We did nothing today — nothing ‘productive’ anyway. My wife did some sewing; my daughter did some painting, math workbooks, knitting, and watched an episode of Scooby Doo; I painted some minis. We try to have ‘family craft time’ once a week, especially in the winter when we’re stuck inside anyway. Since my wife was a little under the weather we scrapped some major housecleaning plans and took it easy. Craft time sprawled on and on, with breaks for lunch, laundry, and making pizza for dinner. Nothing recharges the batteries like spending time together making stuff. Here’s what I painted:
Two Heritage “Knights & Magick” knights.
These two were painted fairly simply back about 1983. The one with the sword my brother & I thought of as ‘Lancelot’ for reasons I can no longer place. I was terribly frustrated with how I painted him, and tossed this mini in the brush water (I was about 11 then!) and when I remembered him later and took him out, somehow the ambient paint left him ‘stained’ with a very heavy black/green wash, that actually looked pretty good. But not good enough that I didn’t strip him, like most of the K&M knights. The mace-man would make a good cleric if you overlook the sword hanging from his belt.
I also took some cheapo plastics and made some monsters. One is a knight from a ‘Dollar Store’ set (the same one that provided the statues in a prior post). This guy had a shield on a deformed, short arm, and I cut that off and transplanted a second mace. As his helm has no eye slits, I thought he might make a good automaton or Iron Golem. A knight is next to him for scale. He’s mounted on a big washer for stability.
Lastly, I picked up a bag of skeleton warriors on Amazon to round out a purchase. They are not great but are a step up from the Dollar Store crap. There were six poses, and I did not use the ‘archer’. I just painted one of each of four poses; I made do more some time, or save them to fight those dollar store knights. A wash of burnt umber is practically all they need, but I went a few steps further and painted them completely. Here are three of the poses:
The axeman and spearman both look very Egyptian, in terms of their weapons and shield, although all of the figures have a lot of extraneous skulls decorating them. Here’s the spearman from the back:
The other two poses I used are more medieval:
The only conversion I did was to bend the flailman’s hand so that his flail is in a more natural position. I did this by heating the arm with a lighter and bending when the plastic looked a little shiny (before it actually melts or bursts into flame!). You can also submerge plastics in boiling water and then reposition them, but this was easier for just one figure. For scale, here’s the flailman about to smash a knight:
Lastly here’s a skeleon, before and after:
These skeletons would be undead giants, obviously. I like that some look kind of Egyptian…they will fit in as guardians of ancient tombs or ruins, and provide an option other than mummies as the big bads in a pyramid.
I also began work on repainting 30 or so Citadel snotlings. They’ll see action in Telengard soon, I think.